01 May, 2018

Back in Tokyo

I'm physically back in Tokyo, but still struggling to get my head back into the right space. These last two weeks were very tiring, as I predicted. Last week was more emotional than I'd foreseen, though, and I think that has also taken its toll. I have to say that I'm enjoying a less social week this week!

However, in the meantime life continues onwards as usual. I got home at 11pm on Friday night, after leaving Sapporo at 3pm. I got about five hours sleep before we got up and went to our sons' track and field meet. Thankfully, though it was an early start, I didn't have to drive or take the train, and I was able to sit beside David as he drove the team and catch up. Last week was so busy that we weren't able to talk even once. Then, because we arrived early (CAJ helps run these events, so if you travel with the team you're always early), I was able to lie down in the bus for a while.

I even managed, with the aid of coffee, to take some half-decent photos and talk to people.

A discus photo for some variety.
David and some friends also organised for me to get a lift home a bit earlier than if I'd travelled with the team.

But despite my exhaustion, it was a good day. The temperature was about perfect (low 20s) and we sat under trees, so there was no concern about sunburn. The atmosphere was quite relaxed and picnic-like.

Last week was interesting, in that many of the people at the workshop are single or have no children. It's quite a different dynamic to the people I usually hang out with. They were a bit horrified at what I was planning to do on Saturday, but for me it is just what you do as a mum. When your children are little, you get up during the night to help them. As they get older you go to their performances, their school events, and watch them use their skills and abilities, even if it means getting less sleep than you need. It does mean that I have less energy to do ministry than if I didn't have kids, but being a mum to my children is also an important role that God's given me.

The other event that's happened since I returned was our youngest turning 13! We celebrated quietly at home in the usual fashion (for us) with a cake, presents, and a meal he requested. It's the first time we've had a "boy birthday" without one of the boys around, so that was weird and will take some getting used to. The boy who's gone will also need to figure out what he's going to do about birthdays etc. when he's on the other side of the ocean to us.

But now the "working week" has begun and I'm trying to work my way through the various tasks that await, including a whole lot of deadlines that I've already missed. The weather is gorgeous and I'd love to go for a ride tomorrow, but I'm not sure whether I want to walk away from my desk for several hours to do that or not. But don't worry, I'm not totally neglecting myself. I read an entire 400 page novel over the weekend. Yesterday I went to the dentist for a regular checkup and this afternoon I have a massage and haircut scheduled which involves a 6-9k ride (depending on the route I take).


No comments: