25 August, 2017

Start of school 2017

Ordinary life today meant the start of a new school year, which was different for almost everyone.

Yummy satay chicken by our eldest son.
David: taught two classes (his lowest class-load ever) and did other various tasks that his new role of Director of Teaching and Learning entails.

Middle son: started high school (for the second time, due to a quirk of timing, he actually did six months high school in Australia, where grade seven is now high school). School was only half a day, then he did cross-country training (in 35C weather).

Youngest son: started grade seven (middle grade of middle school at CAJ). He also joined the cross-country training.

Eldest son: worked at the school all day doing various maintenance-department things including monitoring the electricity usage gauge (complex story, but to do with keeping costs down on this very hot day).

Which leaves me. I attended the school community prayer meeting from 8.30-10.00, which included catching up with friends I haven't seen since school broke up three months ago. 

Then I worked as hard as I could on editing at home in the silence of no-kids-at-home until 12.30. After that I had boys coming home for lunch over the next two hours, they all came home at different times. In the middle of all that I tried to continue working on formatting some of the 60 or so blog posts that need my attention on the new blog. 

Then, after the weather cooled down a little, I rode out for a quick trip for groceries to get us through the weekend. Since I got back after 5 I've been mostly on social media or playing a card game on my phone while answering periodic questions about the new satay chicken recipe that our eldest is making.

I have no first-day-of-school photos. Our middle son, never fond of photo posing, quietly slipped out before I could snap one this morning. So I compensate with a photo of the dinner we've just enjoyed.

No comments: