15 August, 2015

Margin in life

The longer I live this life the longer I realise how much grace I need to extend to others. But also to myself.

I'm realising more and more that my perspective is different to other people's and what works for me, doesn't work for everyone. What I see others struggling with is not something I should judge, nor should I envy those who appear to doing something easily that I find hard.

I know I need margin and I plan for it, David and I have both become fairly skilled at saying no. I rely on him, at times, to help me judge whether I should say no. But sometimes that fails too. 

But obviously others don't need the same amount of margin, or they go about life in a different way. That's okay. Generally. 

But I'm also learning that in most cases it isn't my business to be poking my nose in other people's time management. I can show concern, but in the end it is their responsibility (unless I'm the one giving them the grief in demanding too much of them).

Recently I came across two posts about planning for margin, from two different perspectives.
1. Margin, the wasted space we desperately need.
2. Another perspective, where planning for margin becomes a stumbling block.

I'm in the first category. If I don't plan for margin, then things start to go wrong, especially with my health. I've been struggling with various niggly heath issues over the last few months. I'm sure that a lot of it has to do with a lack of margin in June.

My lingering asthma has forced me to tarry longer in this inbetween, holiday spot. I've enjoyed the long lay-ins in the mornings and lots of lazy time. But I've been a bit frustrated and feeling a bit guilty in the last week or so, that I'm not getting more done. I guess I've had margin enforced upon me, more margin than I thought I needed.

It's at times like these that I need to remember that I'm loved, but not because of what I do. And the One who loves me gives me rest too.

Psalm 23:1-3

The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.

No comments: