07 November, 2014

An uncomfortable lull

We have no formal ministry to do on the weekend. No conferences, not workshops, no fun nights, no church visits, not even an overnight visit to anywhere, just lunch tomorrow with some friends from our young adult days. 

Sunday on the calendar, is absolutely blank. Phew! The last time we had one of those was the day after driving ten hours home from visiting David's family at the beginning of October. The one before that was the day our middle son flew to Sydney for his Canberra trip and the one before that...was July.

Yes, it's been a busy season. This week has represented a bit of a slow-down for a couple of weeks. That always hits me uncomfortably. I need the break, but I don't always know what to do with the feelings it produces. I'm somewhat hyperactive, I like to always have a short to-do list or I feel uneasy. 

I can't say that I've had not enough to do this week, but the pace has definitely been slower, especially on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Me a few years ago with my "forever" friend Mel who I've
known my whole life. We met for coffee today
and the time was so sweet!
And now I'm sitting at home alone, all the boys are at youth group or kids club and hubby doing transporting duty. It is strange. It almost makes me feel poetic, but I shan't subject you to that!

So it's been thoughtful week. A time to step back and do some deeper analysis, aided by meeting up with two friends at different times who helped me to reflect a little on our lives lately. Hence the posts here have been a bit weightier.

Oftentimes when the pressure of "the next thing" is off a little I feel the temptation to "grow weary and lose heart" (Hebrews 12:3b, NIV).

But "[God] says, 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth' (Ps 46:10, NIV). 

It is very unusual for me to be still for any length of time (mentally, at least, I can sit reading, or working on the computer for long amounts of time). But obviously I must try not to be unsettled by these lulls.

The question is, what do I do with the next couple of hours before my responsibilities come home again? Write, cross-stitch, play games, read . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks just like your middle son, only wearing a girly shirt. That and the dated color tint are the only obvious evidence that this is a younger you, not a current him. ;)