13 December, 2013

My instigating son

This week I'm so proud of my sons and some things they've done or are doing this week.

But here I will focus on my youngest son. He's a handful! Smart, full of ideas and initiative, bold, competitive, extrovert, leader. These are all good qualities, but like any strong personality qualities,
My son is the middle boy here.
they have their negative side. I was looking for a descriptor of him yesterday and this is what one electronic dictionary gave me:

Noun1.instigator - someone who deliberately foments trouble; "she was the instigator of their quarrel"
ringleader - a person who leads (especially in illicit activities)
bad hatmischief-maker,trouble maker,troublemakertroubler - someone who deliberately stirs up trouble
2.instigator - a person who initiates a course of action
leader - a person who rules or guides or inspires others
aggressor - a confident assertive person who acts as instigator

I'm not sure how that he often tries to "foment trouble" but he sure brings enough of it down on his head just by being him. As you can see above, there is a pretty fine line between the two definitions of the same word and that's how it is with him too. At eight, he often lacks the maturity and discernment to deal with his strong personality and it causes trouble.

But yesterday it was used for good. A teacher at the school, knowing that he needs a bit of a challenge at school, suggested that he might be interested in starting up something like a club and his  suggestion was a science club. The teachers have included him in the planning and promotion of the club and he's getting lots of credit! Yesterday they had their first meeting and there was lots of enthusiasm.

It also seems that his idea has sparked off a number of other students interested in starting their own clubs.

I'm so happy for my son, who tries so hard to keep up with his two big brothers, that his strengths have been recognised and produced something that benefits a number of other people. I pray that this is the start of more and more good things in his life. I can't wait to see what he ends up doing as an adult!

No comments: