14 February, 2012

Influenza strikes

Influenza has been ripping around Japan. Apparently there are more than a million people in Japan at the moment with the virus! After weeks of seeing other families come down with it, it has finally infiltrated our house. 


Our middle son woke up with a temperature and aches and pains early yesterday morning. I'm thankful that I've talked with others who've gone through this before, because I was aware of the "procedure". You're required to have had a temperature for over 12 hours before they'll make a positive diagnosis, so I waited until the doctor nearly shut last night before going with my son (whose face by that time was bright red). 


It's been a while since we last had the flu, and in the meantime they've developed a fast test. Shove the cotton bud up the nose about five centimetres to do a swab. Five minutes later we had a positive result for Type A, or seasonal flu. And now they have medicine too! There were two choices for a child under 10. Both inhalers. I love it, if only all medicine could be taken so easily!


But their response to the diagnosis was almost instantaneous isolation. We were shuffled into an unheated corridor that I've never seen before (after going to this doctor for more than five years). 


I found this post by another foreigner in Japan who is a little bemused at Japan's fixation on influenza. His doctor's experience paralleled ours pretty well.


I also bought some masks.
So now I'm confined to the house with him for at least two more days. He can go back to school on Thursday as long as he doesn't produce a fever in the meantime. If he spikes one tomorrow, I've got him until Monday! Thankfully I have plenty of work to be going on with right here.


By the way, did you know that in Japan when you go to the doctor they routinely check your temperature and often your blood pressure too? (At our doctor it is a triage nurse who does this.)


Also, masks were pretty much compulsory for the "sufferers". They wondered why I didn't have one on. I've heard it isn't that effective in preventing you from getting the flu, but the main reason was that I didn't have any more at home, I gave my last one to my son. This situation is now rectified, as you can see from the photo. 60 masks for about $AU4. I figured, one in the house with the flu, chances of at least one more getting it? High, even though we've all had flu shots. A few more than I wanted, but that was better than a dollar for four!


Don't feel too sorry for me. My son is hardly ill today at all (actually he was easier when he was on the lounge feeling bad). Outside it is cold and raining. I'm happy here. Only thing I'm missing is being able to get out to the gym, but maybe tonight if my husband can get home in time.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Do you have to leave him with the fever (ie no paracetamol) for 12 hours before you go to the doctor?

Hippomanic Jen said...

Hope you're all better soon - that it is confined to one of you!

Wendy said...

Helen, I don't know. I gave him Nurofen at 6am and that gave him a comfortable morning. But when it started to wear off in the afternoon, I didn't redose him, so the doctor could see the worst of it for himself. The nurse wanted to know his temp in the afternoon, but I couldn't tell her because the battery in my thermometer died during the day.

Thanks Jen. The flu medicine has done quite a number on him. He only looks like he has a very mild cold. Apparently it starts to wear off close to the 48 hour mark, so I'm wondering if we'll have relapse this afternoon. If so, he'll be off school the rest of the week and then it is winter break until next Wednesday! But no one else shows signs of coming down with it at this stage.