12 January, 2012

Cold and my inaugural wrestling meet

It isn't as cold here as where we first lived in Japan (Sapporo). I think they had something like -9 this morning. We only had -2 (Celcius). But that is cold enough. The unheated parts of our house were about 4 degrees. My profile photo for this blog is this one on the left. 



That just makes me feel cold right now. I'm thinking that this other one might be more suitable.






Last night we went for my first taste of wrestling. The high school wrestling team had a meet with another international school in CAJ's gym, so we went along to support them. It was fun, especially the more eventful wrestles. Some of it reminded me of rugby league, especially when one wrestler got lifted off the floor and almost dumped on his head. Looked like a football tackle to me! And another bout was between two guys who were over 200lbs (90kg). This one was quite exciting as the CAJ wrestler pinned his opponent in a dramatic moment. The title of that play we were made to read at high school "Let the Big Men Fly," kept running through my mind.


I'm sensing this is just the beginning of my career as a wrestling mum. Our 12 y.o. has joined the team this year. Actually he is 50% of the team, middle schoolers have to choose between wrestling and basketball. Basketball is the more glamorous sport at our school, even though they have to go to early morning practises (before the sun gets up). 


Our son is really enjoying it and all reports I've heard is that he's doing well and has potential. There is a lot to learn, it seems. You might think, Wrestling – lots of brawn, not much brains, but actually that isn't true. They have to problem solve constantly as they pit themselves against their opponent. And they get into some very awkward positions that they have to try and pull themselves out of. It calls for a good portion of persistence too, giving up easily is not a good trait for a wrestler. Anyway, I am no expert...a mere beginner spectator. 


On Saturday we're taking the boys to watch their brother wrestle. Last night was just a short taste (only an hour), but Saturday we'll be there several hours. Our boys were fascinated last night, we'll see how they last the distance on Saturday. 


1 comment:

Dan Rudd said...

I like your penultimate paragraph :-).