06 October, 2011

Dramatic season change

This photo of our outside thermometer captures yesterday perfectly: wet and cool.

The reason I particularly wanted to post it here is to illustrate the dramatic change in season we've had since the typhoon came roaring through here on the 21st of September, only two weeks ago. Prior to that our night-time temperatures were approximately twice what this daytime photo shows. Ouch!

Us Queenslanders are not used to such dramatic temperature changes (Victorians, maybe, but not us). Summer generally meanders along for months and months, finally dwindling down to below 25 degrees, leaving us with a mild winter (generally speaking). Of course I generalise, always a risk. But we don't usually rush from summer to winter in just two weeks! And, for those of you from other parts of the world, 14 degrees IS winter for a Queenslander.

2 comments:

Helen said...

Unless you are from Toowoomba!

Wendy said...

Despite being from Toowoomba I'm not certain I'm sure I know what you're referring to Helen. But it has been more than 20 years since I lived there!