02 September, 2011

Me and shopping

Yesterday I went shopping. Lots of shopping (for me, that is). 
I visited my favourite craft store which has a sale on at the moment. I bought some material to make a tablecloth for our new table when it is extended. I also bought a pattern to make some long pants for my two younger boys who seem to be wearing out the knees of their pants faster than I can mend. And I browsed, taking in the beautiful crafts, dreamed about when I might have time to do some of this stuff, and generally de-stressed.

I dropped into my favourite shopping centre (actually, the only 'real' shopping centre around here). It is a relatively quiet, tranquil spot. If you come to visit I'll have to take you there. It has a wonderful store full of Japanese type stuff and these types of stores aren't all that easy to find in the 'burbs. It also has a lovely 100 yen store and an import shop (where I found tinned beetroot), a bakery, Uni Qlo (clothes shop), shoe store, optometrist etc. Lots of useful shops. Oh, and air conditioning. After I had a terrible day on Wednesday, a few hours in air conditioning was a good idea, I thought.

I also dropped in on another clothes store and helped a poor green blouse that no one wanted find an owner. Green tops and brown/beige bottoms just seem to call me . . .Oh, and I also found the black pair of shorts that our 12 y.o. needed for P.E.
Lazy Susan at breakfast

But the most exciting find (from the boys point of view) was hiding in a dusty corner of one of our favourite second hand stores. A Lazy Susan, for only 300 yen (AU$3.65). I'd intended it for use when we extend our table out to a 1.37m square for visitors, but the boys were all for trying it out at an ordinary meal. So we used it last night and this morning for breakfast too. It might be a stayer.

I wrote back here that shopping isn't really my thing, at least I don't see it as an enjoyable pastime. But yesterday I realised that I do enjoy it, but on certain terms. If I get to do it on my own and in quiet peaceful places, I'll usually enjoy it.

2 comments:

KarenKTeachCamb said...

Definitely sounds like a good shopping expedition. I love using a lazy susan on the table. They are also really good in corner cupboards, so you can get at the stuff at the back. A little "green" over the craft shop, although I did do a little craft shopping in Thailand recently. Now I just have to make some "craft time" for me! And I'll have to make it, since it's not going to happen otherwise.

Wendy said...

We have a corner cupboard with a double shelf built-in "lazy susan"! The entrance is pretty tiny, so it is hard to fit anything in there, but it comes in handy for a few things!