04 May, 2011

Nachuraru weibu means what?

Yesterday I hinted that buying hair products here isn't easy. Actually no hygiene product is totally easy. It is a lot easier if you can read Katakana - the alphabet reserved almost exclusively for foreign imported words. Though many products have a little bit of English on them too, but sometimes that can be only partly helpful.

Take this one for example:
 I think it is a fancy moisturiser that claims to do a variety of things including whitening - which I definitely don't need! I was thankful that no one fainted at the gym the other day when I wore shorts for the first time in six months!

I bought this next product the other day. When I came home I Googled "Ascience Inner Rich Treatment" and found out it is a post-conditioner treatment for damaged Asian hair. Not really my profile, not sure what I'm going to do with it now.
 This is hairspray, but is a "point" pump spray, which wasn't quite what I wanted.
 Here is the mousse I found yesterday. It says "Nachuraru weibu", Japlish for "Natural Wave". I hope it works. This is what I'm experimenting with at the moment. Less fly-aways today.
Why is she blabbing on about hair products? Through my blog I want you to get a feel for our lives - what the ordinary life of a missionary in Japan is like. Not just what you see in newsletters or hear from the podium at a missionary meeting, but what the day-to-day life is like. Looking after my Caucasian hair in this Asian country is just one of the many things that make up our day-to-day lives.

No comments: