12 April, 2011

Thunderstorms and earthquakes

Yesterday afternoon, not long after I wrote here an unexpected thunderstorm blew in. Unexpected, because we rarely have them here and in early April - almost never. 

Just as school got out we could hear the thunder and a downpour threatened. The two younger boys and I headed home quickly because they had swimming lessons at four (across the road - incredibly convenient). By the time we were ready to dash across the road the rain was pelting, despite my umbrella and short trip, I got quite damp.

One or two of the Japanese kids at swimming were screaming in terror. This might sound odd, but I couldn't but help feel like the storm was God expressing his sadness at what happened a month ago yesterday in Japan and what has happened since. It certainly felt like the sky was raging.

Then after swimming, while the boys were having a snack the house started to creak and then rock and roll again. We didn't feel particularly terrified, but the boys both jumped into action. Our nearly 6 y.o. who was snacking on nuts just dived under the table with his nuts in hand and kept nibbling. Our middle son merely stood firmly in a doorway. I stood in the middle of the room debating what I should do. Perhaps I should have sat down or held onto something, because I felt distinctly shaky afterwards. But it wasn't actually that big here, nor long. Again, nothing fell. 

But after that we had lots of aftershocks right through the evening. One began as I descended our steep stairs. Mostly you just noted that the house was creaking and waited, none of them were enough to make you move away from your position, only to make you pause and say, "There's another one." What a way to celebrate the one month anniversary.

And I'm feeling tired today. I didn't feel any tremors during the night, but a brisk wind whistled through the one metre gap between our house and the one next to us, right behind our heads, all night.

I'd be happy not to have any more anniversaries like that. 

Today dawned bright and beautiful, but with a distinct chill in the air. Only yesterday I rode home from the gym at lunch-time with only a t-shirt on. A very daring thing to do. My arms haven't seen the light of day outside for about six months. Today I walked the boys to school with my thick winter jacket on and was glad of it.

Today is also the deadline I gave all my writers for Japan Harvest. I have about nine items outstanding. Today I've mostly had my Occupational Therapy hat on. Tomorrow I'll pull out my editor's hat again.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hope the OT stuff has been going okay, despite everything else that's been happening??

Wendy said...

I've done very little OT stuff this year so far. This was the first assessment I've done in months. That in itself is challenging.