03 March, 2011

Touching base from the mountain

Hi from the mountain. I made it safely through falling snow on Tuesday. Narrowly missed having to put snow chains on the car. The next morning I had to drive a short distance up a snowy track. The wheels spun and I wasn't going anywhere fast, but had a wise advisor correct my driving technique and then push me up the hill! I'm really not in a hurry to go back to snow country driving, granted if I lived here I'd probably have appropriate tyres (winter tyres), but it is just a tad scary!

As for the retreat itself, I'm having a great time! Socially and spiritually. Used a few tissues today, so that is a bit draining. Some of that is just the opportunity to worship in English. Other parts are considering the hard things in life and hearing others' hard things. It is interesting, actually, how open missionaries are willing to be with other missionaries who they barely know. Our lives hold very few opportunities for heart language fellowship and therefore when the opportunity presents we grasp it and go deep quickly. Pretty rare experiences back at home, I think.

Any case, this was supposed to be a short touch-base. We have one more day here, till Friday lunch. Then I get to drive the ladies back down the mountain and dive back into 'ordinary' life again.

According to my husband things are going pretty well back at home. They're all coping. This morning he not only got them to school on time and packed linches, but got the washing out too and then taught all day! Amazing man.



Well it's an hour till dinner, I'm going to have a bit of a lie down before then. Back later.

6 comments:

Helen said...

I wish minister's wives' things were like that. Unfortunately we aren't very real with each other at all.

Wendy said...

That's so sad, Helen. I wonder why, it not a "safe place" for people to share or are they just so used to putting on their happy faces at church that they cannot take them off? I wonder what anyone could do to change it?

Shirley Corder said...

I identify with Helen. It's not a "safe place" - yet it should be!

Wendy said...

It should be a safe place. I wonder what would happen if someone dared to start to be more authentic with others?

Helen said...

Wendy - I did that once. It was awful.

Wendy said...

What did you do, Helen?