28 March, 2011

Juggling balls and a birthday missed.

Tonight I'm feeling a little short on inspiration. I feel at present that I'm continuing to juggle a lot of balls. 

Some of those balls are heavier than usual - like the boys. I hadn't planned to be doing so much work during their Spring Break and it is rather a pity that I am. But one cannot always be in control. Actually probably control is an issue that is bothering me at present. 

As I put this magazine issue together I'm facing what probably makes long-time editors grumpy: a lack of control. I have a number of people working on articles, but they aren't here yet. I'm not quite sure how to cope with that yet. Trusting, waiting.

Then another ball or two is tossed my way, and I have to decide whether to catch them or not. The endless dilemma many of us face. How busy is too busy? How do I guess when I've reached my limit before I get there?

I did have a successful day getting our news/prayer letter written. It is done. We will revise it tomorrow and then send it out. I took some excerpts from this blog to give an overall feel of our lives since the 11th of March. It was interesting to walk back through the days, how quickly you forget the details! But challenging to try to reduce those days to two short pages without losing the interesting detail.

The past year of on the edge of ordinary
I realised something today too, I missed this blog's birthday. Earlier this month "on the edge of ordinary" turned two. Wow! 700 something posts later and someone says to me "you've been blogging for a long time" and then asks for advice! It has been a fun journey. As I look back on the statistics, I've had a lot more readers join since we came back to Japan last July and then a huge burst of interest while Japan was front page in the newspapers. I guess it is a good sign (?) that the numbers are going down again!

Time to go and mend some clothes that are falling off my guys. Yes, enough writing and thinking about writing and time to pay homage to that other ball I toss around - household maintenance!

1 comment:

Shirley Corder said...

Happy Birthday to On the Edge ... ! Great work, Wendy.