05 March, 2011

Bits and pieces (and photos) from retreat

Some bits and pieces from retreat. I drove three other women and a van full of extra stuff required for the days away. As we drove upwards, it began first to rain, then snow. When we arrived, we were faced with a winter wonderland.

After living in snow-country for four years, I've decided that snow is beautiful, if you don't have to live (or drive) in it! "First" snows are particularly beautiful - purifying Japan's otherwise drab grey-brown-black winter landscape.

I went for a short walk during our free time on Thursday afternoon. There is a pond nearby that is gorgeous in every other season. Winter is not it's most beautiful season, but it was nice to get out in the fresh country air. 

I particularly enjoyed the feeling of snow crunching under my feet. That brings back memories from winters in Hokkaido during our first term as missionaries. I tried to figure out why it was enjoyable - because memories of that time in my life aren't all that fun, but I think it might just be that I enjoy the feeling of the crunchy snow, there really is little else like it. But it is good to think back to those times of struggle and see how far I've come, by the grace of God, since then. It was one thing our speaker spoke about - remembering the struggles and instead of comparing ourselves to others, compare ourselves now to ourselves then.
My snow boots - I still have them from Hokkaido days. See the cool hinged piece in the heel that enables you to have ordinary boots one second and instant grip on icy ground the next.
Jane's also tall - 10 inches taller than me.
Our speaker, Jane Rubietta, was again a delight. I never expected I'd get two opportunities to hear her speak. She spoke at the same retreat three years ago when I was last there. What particularly delights me about Jane is that she is not only humorous, she is very honest about her own failures and struggles. Amazing transparency in speaker. She urges those listening (or reading - when you read her books) to dare to be honest about our own struggles and move closer to Jesus, who loves us despite our imperfections.

Renee, one of our worship leaders working hard.
Then the joy of worshipping in English. I didn't get a photo of them in action because I was crying too much. I also didn't want to pull away from the awesome privilege of worshipping in my heart language. I did get a photo of one of the two sisters who led us in worship - but not as she sang, but as she attached some of the longer retreat decorations to the roof of our van for our trip home.

Another precious thing I bring home from the retreat, I mentioned on Thursday - the deep conversations with other women. Not too much time wasted on small talk.

All in all, a balm to my soul. After an emotional couple of months to start the year, I feel as though I've been fed and watered. I feel as though I can see a way forward, in more than just the daily list of "things to do" but the way to "be", how God is leading me, how He wants me to grow. Lots to think about and process, but a peaceful, satisfied feeling is brimming up from my soul.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Glad you had a good time and were refreshed and nourished spiritually xxx