02 December, 2010

Identifying with Margaret Houlihan

We've been watching M*ASH recently. It provides a much needed comic relief some evenings and a good excuse to sit down and do nothing for a bit. My apologies if you've never seen it, I'll assume today that you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, then I do recommend that you get your hands on an episode and try it out, it is timeless.

The other night we watched an interesting episode where the 4077 did an exchange with another unit. Hawkeye and a nurse switched places for a few days with another doctor and nurse. The nurse turned out to be Lorraine, a good childhood friend of Margaret Houlihan. It is a bit shocking when first Margaret "loves" Lorraine, then turns on her and "hates" her. Lorraine confronts Margaret, asking why she's changed from the fun-loving girl she knew. Margaret finally confesses her dilemma. That she is head nurse and has forced herself to be professional and in control in order to fulfil the responsibilities on her shoulders. She says she's forgotten how to be anything else and has no friends in camp. 

I understand how Margaret felt. How hard it is to change from being responsible to having fun. I find it hard as a mum to do this. Our boys get out of control too easily when the responsible ones (i.e. parents) join in the fun. It can really drain the joy out of you.

On another realm I understand the challenge to figure out what it is to be a 'professional'. The other day I was chatting with a friend/colleague about my recent OT volunteer work. I expressed a little surprise at the positive responses to my assessment reports on children I've seen. My colleague, said, "But of course, they are the opinion of a professional."

Sometimes is it hard to view myself as a professional. I guess that comes partly from being out of the profession for so long. I remember feeling like this as a student. Like I had to put on a different 'persona' to go to work. I think that feeling faded as I got used to it, but it is back, just a little.
I love it that this comedy has such a depth to it that I can identify with some of the struggles of the characters.

No comments: