21 October, 2010

To tell the truth...

I have been convinced for a long time that being more transparent in my interactions with others has greater benefits than disadvantages. Time and time again I've had people say that my honesty in my conversation, writing and speaking has both attracted them and encouraged them.

On the weekend I read this in a magazine:
"As I tell the truth about our journey with our son, instead of hiding it like a secret, I've discovered a new kind of freedom. One woman in my Bible study said, "Carol, I used to think you were perfect, but now I think we could be friends." Carol Kent, Just Between Us, Fall 2010.
The context is that Carol, who is a professional Christian speaker in the US, has a son in prison, convicted with killing his wife's former husband. Most of us do not have a 'secret' quite as shocking as this, even so I found her comment to be encouraging. 

By keeping secrets we pretend to be better than we actual are, even if we don't intend to do this - when we don't admit our faults others tend to assume this. And by doing this we build walls around ourselves that prevent others from being our friends or by being encouraged by the struggles in our lives.

So, what can I tell you today that I've been hiding (not to confuse blog readers with a true friends, though of course some of you qualify as both)?  I'm addicted to coffee. How's that?

1 comment:

KarenKTeachCamb said...

Great post Wendy. I've been in a situation this year where I will occasionally get asked by colleagues why I left Logos. It is incredibly freeing to be honest and not try to hide the reasons why I changed schools. After one application, my previous principal said "Don't expect to hear back from them." after reading one application. Not many days later I heard from them. I believe God honours our honesty!