27 October, 2010

Shocks to the system

Today the temperature has dropped to 15 degrees maximum. Only a month ago we had the air conditioner on and the temperatures were in the mid 30s! It is a bit of a shock to the system. But at least the weather forecast gave us warning.

Mentally, I'm in a little bit of shock too. Contrary to the weather, things are heating up in my little corner. Last week I did an Occupational Therapy assessment and I am preparing for another one this Friday.

Today I had a meeting with the editor of Japan Harvest (see photo of latest cover), a magazine written by and for the missionaries in Japan. Last year I went to Manila at the invitation of this man and I'm looking forward to working with him and his wife. I am just starting to help him as an associate editor, so we're figuring out where to from here. At the present he is working pretty much on his own, editorially speaking, so it is a change for him to have someone to work with. We'll see how it goes. But I did come away with things to do!
Gary Bauman (editor of Japan Harvest) with me in Manila.

Add to that an up and coming prayer letter, an article for our denominational magazine in Australia and ongoing administrative bits and pieces. A key person in the OMF Japan headquarters office is leaving and I've taken on one of her jobs: responding to enquiries through OMF Japan's website. That is a job that is hard to plan for, I think I hardly got anything last week, but then several have arrived in a couple of days this week.

So I've created a chart next to my computer that has all the threads of work that I'm trying to do and the steps that are mine to do. Like multiple lists. Whenever I find myself getting short-of-breath as I consider all that I need to do, I need to write it all down. Even for this multi-tasking mum I need help occasionally.

Tonight we had guests for dinner. Tomorrow night too. Thankfully I threw a meal into the slow cooker this morning and it cooked away without need for me to do much about it. Someone has asked for my favourite slow cooker recipes. I'll have to write a post about that in the near future. Anyone else got some to add too?

Thankfully too, tomorrow I have all day without an appointment on my calendar (aside from the gym and groceries). I should be able to get some things done tomorrow, don't you think?

No comments: