30 August, 2010

Short post on Day One in Hong Kong

I've run out of time to write this post, but I have been doing a lot of writing this morning. Uninterrupted writing, a real novelty.

But it is better than yesterday. Yesterday I got up without an alarm at 4.30 (I'd been awake most of the night) and caught my train, then bus, then plane and then three more buses. I got lost at most of the tranfers! But after a awful start to the day where I fought anxiety and nausea for more than two hours, I made it okay. My husband kept reminding me to expect adventures.

The biggest adventure was when I missed getting off at the correct the bus stop on the bus from the airport, but didn't realise it for about half an hour. God gave me some angels. Two ladies without English tried to help me, then a bunch of kids with a basketball took me on a merry walk, they guided me to another bus which would bet me back on track and I got to my destination not too much the worse for wear. The whole journey took just over 12 hours. Not too bad.

I slept fairly well last night in a strange bed and feel much refreshed this morning. And we've gotten down to writing. I wrote over 2000 words in about 1 1/2 hours this morning. It needs a lot of editing, but it is great to have unbroken writing time! Something I've hardly experienced for years and years.

It has been exciting to meet other OMF writers too. People, just like me, who are doing other jobs and trying to fit writing around those things. Two Aussie women are here too. Names that I've heard and read about, but never met.

Anyway, it is dinner time and I need that to keep going. More later...

1 comment:

Dave said...

Talk about adventures! Glad you made it.

Read your piece on ordinary people in the OMF state news, and thought it was well-written. The story-driven style helps involve the reader.