13 September, 2009

Small talk challenges

Small talk is harder right now.

How do I easily answer the following questions about myself with someone I hardly know? 

  • Where are you from? 
  • What have you been doing lately? 
  • Why are you feeling tired? 
  • How are you boys settling into school? 
  • Why don't you get them into a youth group? 
  • Do you like where you are living? 
  • Where do you go to church? 
 All of these questions are difficult, especially when I don't know how much the person I'm talking to knows about me.

 And how do I respond to statements like -

  • "It's been so cold (i.e. under 23 degrees celcius)."
  • "I can't believe it is raining." (when it has rained only once in the last 3 months)
  • "Our house is so small."
  • "I've never been in an aeroplane. It must be so exciting!"
  • "The Japanese have such a violent past."
 Often it is much easier to ask other people questions and find out about them. Finding common ground, though, can be difficult. Babies and pets are good. Sport isn't too bad, though I've not much knowledge of the local teams. I find movies, TV shows and fashion difficult. Anyone got suggestions?

No comments: