24 March, 2009

Handwriting

It has been a long time, but in another life I spent a lot of time being an Occupational Therapist. When I became pregnant with our first child, I gave up my registration as we had plans to go to Japan and no opportunities for me to practise. In fact I wasn't sure I would ever get to do it again. It was the end of an era, I thought. Little did I know that 10 years down the track my skills would come in handy again. We've been confronted with the lack of resources available to English-speaking residents in Japan who have children with therapy needs. Particularly Speech Therapy, but also Occupational Therapy. Last year I was called upon to assess and write a report on a fellow missionary's child. Now I am giving advice about the handwriting problem of another missionary kid. The future? Last week I mailed off my application to rejoin our professional association: OT Australia. 12 months in Australia will give me the chance to upgrade my skills. I will not pursue re-registration at this time, so I won't be able to work in Oz (just to be clear on that). However, hopefully as a volunteer at CAJ I'll be able to help that handful of kids who struggle to get their words clearly onto paper and who knows what else God might have in store for me? I'm beginning to learn that in God's economy nothing is wasted.

No comments: