03 March, 2009

Forgotten password

Yes, I'm an expert blogger already. One day in and I've already had to reset my password because I forgot it! At least I remembered my url :-) All that aside, I wanted to write about last Saturday. I wasn't looking forward to it. Usually we have quiet Saturdays as a family, as quiet as a day with three boys under 10 can be. Anyhow, my husband had to work, so it was me on my own with the mob. Having had an extremely busy Saturday the previous week, we weren't having much luck in the restful-weekend stakes. We prayed that God would give me strength and the boys sense, and then got on with it. I couldn't have anticipated how God would answer that prayer. Our eldest son is clever, active, impulsive and usually very self centred. I'd earlier planted the idea that he could help me prepare food for the guests we'd invited to dinner that evening. I didn't dream that he'd end up cooking a dessert, main meal (minus the salad) and mashed potatoes too. He even washed up the breakfast dishes. I think the biggest shock was not just that he did all that work, but it was his attitude. He was so happy to help out. He said "I'm in happiness heaven." At the end of the day he prayed along the lines of "Thank you Lord for helping me see that it is even better to help other people, that it makes you even more happy." For months his mantra has been "If it is not fun, I don't want to do it" to excuse his bad attitude to everything, including Sunday School, so this truly was a change in attitude. Ever since then he has been more open to communication and more positive in submitting to authority. Not perfect, but better. I can't help but think we may have turned a corner.

4 comments:

Simone R. said...

Wow! Maybe I should try cooking with my boys. Seems so hard though... Particularly if it's for guests.

Wendy said...

I cook with my boys all the time, just have never received such enthusiasm and so much help for a meal. We usually do easy stuff like cakes and biscuits. So, he's learnt the basics of cooking and I made sure I was in the room!

Dave said...

Big smile when I read this - how awesome!

Wendy said...

Yeah well, I think I was being optimistic. We probably rounded a curve, but still have the same boy. I AM becoming optimistic that he'll be to feed himself when I throw him out of home at 18 and that I might have a chance with a future daughter-in-law!